Monday 6 August 2012

The Olympics

Well, we are around half-way through the London 2012 Olympics.  I am a huge sports fan, but prior to the start of the Games I found myself struggling with a curious lack of enthusiasm, which I found difficult to rationalise.

However, as soon as the competitions got up and running, my interest was aroused, although I have noticed that many of my attitudes and perspectives have changed compared to previous Olympics. These changes are probably a consequence of changes in my own life, and alterations in my outlook on the world and people.

I think that what these Games have shown to me is how alienated and detached I have become from conceptions and notions of "country", "nationality", "patriotism" and partisanship. Of course, enormous credit and congratulations should go to the Team GB athletes, but if I am being honest I feel little different about their success to what I feel about that of athletes from other nations.  I am a human being, and my interest is in human endeavour and human emotions, no matter what colour flag somebody happens to be waving.  I have some favourite athletes, but they come from all over the world. I was delighted for example to see Dee Dee Trotter, who I have admired for a number of years, get a bronze medal in the 400 metres.


I don't subscribe to the theory that the Olympics only really gets properly under way when the track and field commences.  However, there is plenty to look forward to in the next few days, with many of the events looking unusually open and competitive.

Oh, and I wish that the media would make it abundantly clear that their precious "medals table" is unofficial.....

No comments:

Post a Comment