Tuesday 13 December 2011

BBC 2012 F1 coverage

There has been much speculation about the composition of the BBC's commentary and punditry team for its F1 coverage in 2012, following the defection of several high-profile figures to Sky.

Today, however, there were media reports which should give some reassurance to real F1 enthusiasts. It seems that Ben Edwards is being lined up to be the main commentator alongside David Coulthard for next season.

My main memory of Ben is of his partnership with John Watson on Eurosport's commentary team in the mid-1990s, and I gained a favourable impression.  As a racing driver himself, he knew what he was talking about, but also had the ability to communicate his knowledge in a friendly, natural style. It remains to be seen, of course, whether he can establish the same chemistry with DC as he had with Wattie.

Although the loss of Martin Brundle and Ted Kravitz is a blow, it is encouraging that Jake Humphrey will stay as main presenter. I must admit that I was sceptical when Jake was first appointed, but I have been forced to eat humble pie and admit that he has done a first-rate job.  From a purely personal point of view I hope also that the delightful Lee McKenzie plays an enhanced role in the coverage!

I am often critical of some aspects of the BBC, and in particular the licence fee system, but I wish them well in their efforts to maintain the high standards of their Formula 1 coverage.  The portents thus far are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment