Thursday 12 January 2012

BBC 2012 F1 Commentators Announced

After much feverish speculation and rumour, the BBC has announced its commentary line-up on both television and radio for the 2012 season.

As expected, Ben Edwards is confirmed as the main commentator for the TV coverage.  As I have previously blogged, this appointment meets with my wholehearted approval, based on my experience of Ben's work in the past, in F1 and other areas of motorsport.  I think that "casual" fans, who perhaps are not too familiar with him, will find his commentary style to be both entertaining and informative.

It was crucial, in the interests of continuity and credibility, that the BBC retained the services of the trio of Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan, and their presence in the coverage will give some re-assurance that this is "business as usual", despite the revised rights deal.

The hiring of Gary Anderson as technical analyst is also an intriguing move, and perhaps a sign that the BBC is looking to balance up the easy-going accessibility of the show with some content which appeals to the F1 "anoraks" out there. 

I appreciate that this view may place me in a distinct minority, in the UK at least, but I also warmly welcome James Allen's appointment as the lead commentator for the Radio 5 Live coverage. The tendency of many F1 fans to constantly denigrate James has always slightly mystified me. I have always liked him, and his enthusiasm and knowledge always shines through. Next year, I hope that listeners will approach things with an open mind, and at least give James a chance to prove himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment