Wednesday 1 April 2015

Rubik's Cube

A few days ago I was seized by the urge to purchase one of these:



Sure enough, earlier today I went out and bought myself one. Strangely enough, during the Rubik's Cube craze of the 1980s, I had my enthusiasm for the whole thing well under control. I owned one of course, but fairly early on in the piece I was somewhat discouraged by the realisation that several of my friends were disturbingly proficient at unlocking the solution to the cube's mysteries. Peer pressure and bragging rights being what they are at that age, I evinced disinterest and apathy, and quietly detached myself.

Now, three decades later, I can truly appreciate the greatness of the cube, its design, and its educational and spiritual benefits. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it was the last truly worthwhile and genuinely substantial "craze" or fad of its type, in that it is indisputably benign and a force for good in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment