Friday 18 January 2013

Snow

In an effort to be more topical, I thought that I would record my thoughts on what seems to be the most pressing issue in Britain this week, the arrival of snow.....

There have been predictable remarks in the media, and among folk generally, about how Britain supposedly grinds to a halt when faced with even the mildest snowfall. Unfavourable comparisons are made with how other nations apparently deal with such occurrences.  Is there something enshrined in law which requires the media, and the wider citizenry, to trot out the same tired cliches on these occasions?

Of course, talking about the weather is Britain's most popular and time-honoured pastime. Even allowing for this, it never ceases to amaze, and amuse, me that people are surprised that we, a land mass in Northern Europe, should be visited by the odd scattering of snow and ice during the winter months.

Another ritual at times such as this is for the older generation to "reminisce" about their snow-related experiences of times past. I remember older relatives regaling me with tales of how "it once snowed in April", and I myself have been guilty of telling the "youth of today" how they didn't know they were born, as I detailed the knee-deep snowdrifts of my childhood.

The knee-deep snowdrifts of my youth may just be fond and nostalgic imaginings, so don't expect any moralizing about climate change or global warming....

The most heart-warming sight which I have witnessed during this week's snow was that of a couple of children from my neighbourhood enthusiastically and adroitly constructing a snowman. I had long since resigned myself to the notion that this was an extinct art-form, having fallen victim to modern preoccupations. The level of craftsmanship, and attention to detail, was impressive, extending even to the application of a carrot for the snowman's nose.  As I observed the scene, I reflected that maybe there is hope yet for mankind....

No comments:

Post a Comment