Sunday 11 September 2011

9/11 Anniversary

There is very little which I can add to what has already been said and written about the tenth anniversary of those terrible events.

As the horror unfolded far away on that day, I was in an Italian restaurant in Leeds city centre, having a business lunch with two guys who were suppliers for the company which I was working for at the time. Totally oblivious to what had occurred, I returned to the office, only for colleagues to impart what they had seen on television. Further information gradually filtered through as the afternoon progressed.

In the immediate aftermath, many people felt a deep sense of foreboding about their futures, and I for one later felt slightly ashamed at aspects of my reaction, regarding myself as rather selfish. Perhaps my actions were just part of an instinctive coping mechanism. We all deal with these things in our different ways.

The real victims on that day were those who were killed and injured, and their families and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment