Saturday 23 April 2011

My Good Friday

Despite the fact that I spent most of yesterday under the impression that it was Saturday, I can now safely record my thoughts on how I spent my Good Friday.

As the weather continued to be glorious, I went for a morning stroll, soaking up the lazy Spring sunshine. However, my feelings of equilibrium and contentment soon evaporated when I popped into the supermarket, and in my infinite wisdom opted to use one of the self-service checkouts.

I know that these contraptions are intended to speed up the shopping experience, but for many people they merely contrive to create other forms of frustration and anguish. After undergoing the ritual humiliation of calling for the checkout supervisor, and finally paying, I made a hasty exit from the premises.  My visit to the supermarket ended on a more hopeful note when I put some money into the collection bucket for Guide Dogs for The Blind.

One minute I was sampling the impersonal and arbitrary nature of a mechanised society, the next I was happily and voluntarily lending my help to my fellow citizens. The curious juxtaposition did not occur to me until later.

I spent most of my Friday afternoon watching and listening to re-runs of "Dad's Army", in film, television and radio-show format. This served to remind me of the quality of the writing and acting which makes it so enduring.

Watching the film version, I was struck by how the greater time available permitted the writers and producers to insert more considered and reflective passages, particularly about the justness of the British cause and the principles and values over which the war was being fought. These were quite moving, although the tension was always broken with a health dose of bathos!

The movie, just like the television programme, gently celebrates, and occasionally pokes fun at, both English eccentricty and the innocent idealism of the times. One has to wonder whether such things would be considered desirable, or even feasible, these days, as we live in more cynical times.

Sub-plots were all part of the fun of "Dad's Army".  There was the apparent class-related tension between the insecure, self-made Captain Mainwaring, and the dilettante and languid Sergeant Wilson. In addition, the constant bickering between the Home Guard and the ARP warden Mr Hodges also made for great comedy. These elements ensured that there was more depth and nuance to the show, in addition to the slapstick.

To complete my day, I followed the Championship match between Leeds United and Reading. A 0-0 draw was the result, and Leeds are now outside of the play-off places. Once can only hope that Simon Grayson is able to inspire his men to summon up one last push. Momentum appears to be ebbing away, just as other teams are acquiring some of their own.

And so that was my Good Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment