Friday 6 May 2011

The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner

I just thought that I would post my thoughts on this documentary film from 1974, directed, produced and written by Werner Herzog. I had seen clips from the film before, but yesterday I watched it in its entirety for the first time.

The film takes a "fly on the wall" look at the world of ski-jumping and its participants, following the Swiss jumper Walter Steiner and capturing his hopes and fears. Steiner was also a carpenter, hence the title of the movie!

Herzog made excellent, and it would seem quite innovative, use of slow-motion cameras, and there are some stunning shots of jumpers in flight. The pictures are accompanied by an evocative prog-rock soundtrack. Well, it was 1974!

One of the things which struck me was how dangerous the sport was back then. Even in the mid-1970s, most ski-jumpers wore just woolly hats on their heads. No crash helmets....

Werner Herzog himself appears on camera, mostly on location at the ski-jumping venues.

For sports fans, and devotees of 1970s' popular culture, this film is essential viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment